Groups of hosting services
A hosting solution concerns keeping and/or sharing particular content on a hosting server handled by a website hosting vendor. There are various types of hosting services utilized for different purposes, so let's have a peek at them. Thus, you can conclude what you need, depending on whether you desire to create a web page, mail accounts, or to share files with comrades and colleagues.
- File hosting: a service delivered by various vendors, which enables you to share big files. These could be disk images, motion pictures, audio files, archives, and so on. This service is also known as file storage, and its only designation is to share files, since it does not support web page uploading. As soon as the files are uploaded, you will either obtain an accidentally generated download link for each of them, or you will be able to see a roll of all the files in a directory, but you will not be able to load .html or .php website files in your web browser. Free-of-cost file hosting services frequently involve ads beside the download links, while a timer forces you to await a specific interval of time to see them. A given file can be downloaded with restricted speed. If you get a paid file storage package, there are no limits as to how many files you can upload/download immediately, and also there is no limitation with regard to the download speed or the file size.
Nowadays, with the help of the cPanel hosting wholesalers, "file hosting" is being renamed to the more voguish "cloud hosting". This is a thoroughly amiss explanation of the literal meaning of "cloud hosting". An actual cloud website hosting platform would assign the tasks at hand between independent packs of hosting servers in a cluster, which are dedicated to serving different web page hosting services (electronic mail, web space, stats, DNS, databases, website hosting CP, etc.) So, the file hosting service is simply a kind of a data storage hosting service, not a cloud hosting one. It's not even close.
- Image hosting: close to file hosting; certain providers offer a hosting solution for images solely. This hosting variant is suitable if you want to share a large amount of pictures with buddies or acquaintances since the service is generally free of charge. You will get a randomly generated link for each and every picture or album and you can subsequently share this link. As with the file storage solution, .html and .php files are not supported, so the solution cannot be utilized for sites.
- Email hosting: a solution devoted to tackling your emails. Some vendors offer web page hosting solutions for websites, but do not provide an e-mail hosting service. If you wish to launch a mail address with your domain name but do not wish to own a web site, then the e-mail hosting service is what you need. You can create electronic mail accounts and administer them, but there will be no hosting service for the domains. The e-mail hosting solution includes incoming POP/IMAP and outgoing SMTP mail servers.
- Video hosting: this service permits you to upload and share video files. You can either share a link to a certain video clip, or you can embed the video in your website that is hosted elsewhere. The advantage of utilizing this approach in lieu of uploading the video file in a hosting account is that the video file generates a certain amount of central processing unit load, so with a bunch of video files and a few hundred viewers, you may have a problem with your hosting supplies. Embedding the video clip will permit you to operate as many video clips as you desire without bothering about system resources.
- Web site hosting: this is the service that you require if you would like to keep a website. To some degree, it encompasses all of the aforesaid hosting types since, along with your websites, you can also host images and files, you can create databases and e-mailbox accounts, upload videos, and so on. At Exclusive Hosting, for example, you can observe web hosting and dedicated web hosting plans that enable you to have all of the aforementioned services in one single place. There may be restrictions depending on the kind of hosting service that you've settled on - a free hosting account, a paid shared hosting plan, a VPS or a dedicated server. Based on that, your web hosting account may be better or worse compared to the conventional e-mail/file/video/image hosting plans that are tailored for specific web content exclusively.